Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Prospect Wire West Coast Finals 18U

On Friday morning, my dad and I left San Diego and made the 6 hour drive to Scottsdale, Arizona for the Prospect Wire West Coast Finals 18U (June 17-21, 2011). With the temperature now having climbed over 30 degrees, the So Cal Dirtbags met at the team hotel for our meeting at 5:15 pm to go over the tournament schedule, and then departed to the Arizona Diamondbacks Spring Training facility for our first game at at 7 pm.

Because this was only my second game with the team, I knew my role was only going to be as a reliever. As the first game went on, our starting pitcher, Kiki Medina, pitched exceptionally well but our defense had a little trouble and we lost 5-3. The second game was at 4 pm on Saturday the 18th, where both offenses were really on point and both team’s run total exceeded double digits. Eventually, the tie breaker rule came into effect and we won the game.

As both games rolled on, I was kind of disappointed that I was not put in the game but this was just like my high school season and I knew I had to be patient and make sure I took advantage of all the opportunities I was given. The last game of the pool play was when I finally got my shot. As our starting pitcher, Robbie Schmit threw four innings of one run baseball, I was called upon in the 5th to finish the game off; and that’s exactly what I did.

I threw three innings, struck out six, let up one hit, no walks and no runs scored. We won that game 9-1, but our previous games kept us from advancing to the playoffs of the tournament. While I was disappointed for our team, I knew that I had completely seized my moment. Throughout this tournament, my patience was further tested, but I feel like I continue to succeed so that if I do become one of the starters, I will not look back.

Below are some photos and video.

This game went extra innings before we won. I'm #42.

Either I'm pitiching really fast or my dad has the camera on the wrong setting.

Fifth inning


Sixth inning


Seventh inning