Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Class of 2012 showcase

On June 7th, I attended a showcase at Granite Hills High School. This showcase was more of an All Star Game for all of the juniors in San Diego County. Along with three of my teammates that were selected from St. Augustine HS, I played on the West team as we battled the East team.

Prior to the start of the game, each player on their respective teams ran the 60 yard dash and took batting practice which gave it the "all star" feel. Because there were so many players on each team, pitchers only threw one inning and position players and hitters played about half the game. In order to make sure everyone got enough opportunities to show what they had, the rules for defense were five batters per inning.

As the 10 inning game went along, I finally got my opportunity late in the game. Although the first batter from El Capitan High School reached first, I followed with a double play, two strikeouts, and then a line out to center that was missed and resulted in a triple.

Although I was somewhat nervous going into the showcase, it turned out to be a very rewarding and challenging experience because none of the hitters were easy outs and I had to bring my best stuff every pitch.

Here are some photos my mom took and video from Mrs. Shives.