Saturday, March 19, 2011

2011 season - Week 2

Just before varsity tryouts I had to sit out a couple practices with back pain. It wasn't that big a deal, but the trainer gave me some exercises, and I was fine for tryouts. At the end of tryouts when cuts were getting made, the coaches wanted to make sure I was healthy. I was, but I think I also earned some higher scrutiny going forward.

When our non-league schedule started last week, the coaches didn't seem to be in a hurry to get me in games. But this week was different. Our home game against Bonita Vista High School (March 15) went back and forth... and now was in the top of the 10th inning. I got the call, and just like putting an ice cube on a hot flame, I think the coaches were wondering if I would melt. I looked over at Evan Crower at first base and laughed to myself, thinking that this was a fine spot to start my varsity career. But I survived, threw strikes, stayed mostly ahead, gave up one run, and then smiled when in the bottom of the 10th, down 10-9, with two runners on, Saints centerfielder Nick Ruppert laced a 3-2 fastball to deep left centerfield drive in two for the win.

After missing out on the Cathedral Catholic HS game last Saturday when I was taking the SAT exam, I was happy to see we would play them again on Friday (March 18). The coach had said beforehand that he was going to be rolling through the pitchers, giving each only an inning or two. We were up by a run in the fifth inning when I was the fourth pitcher called. It took me five batters and 16 pitches, getting alot of ground balls with eyes and getting no calls on the basepath. I gave up a run, but felt generally good about how I did. Unfortunately, the wheels fell off the bus later in the game and we lost again to the Dons.

Here is my inning against CCHS: